Friday, 25 October 2013

Music: Bangerz by Miley Cyrus Review


Bangerz 
Miley Cyrus
****
£10.99
I'm indifferent when it comes to Miley Cyrus, I can take or leave all the drama that surrounds the Nashville native but I did enjoy her two singles so thought I would give her latest album a listen. 
When the name for the album was released the majority of people cringed (I was in that high percentage) but Miley promised that once we gave the CD a listen we would understand the name, I can see her point; kind of. This is my general consensus in regards to the entire music from Bangerz.
With collabs and input from Pharrell, Ludacris, Britney Spears and Nelly you are offered a mix of dance anthems, RnB tunes and some seriously awesome backing beats and high class vocals from the leading lady. 
I just always have the nagging feeling that she is trying just a little too hard, some of the lyrics just don't work with her cool Tennessee accent "Drivin so fast about to piss on myself/The police wanna get him and put him in jail/I'm a do whatever to get him his bail." However, in the same song, 4x4, we receive a country-based rap from Nelly (I know right) and I fall in love with her all over again. 
I  just adore that the country vibe is still present, Miley has such a Southern twang to her voice and it seeps through in every song, she never tries to hide her heritage and even states "I'm a southern belle crazier than hell/ Getting wild up in here/ Getting live up in here." Miley proves that country can work on a dance, pop and even RnB track and pretty well too.
I, of course have my favourites, the catchy, fast-pasted Do My Thang as well as Hands in the Air with its heavy bass and awesome Ludacris rap caught my attention as did the epic Lady GaGa like FU that showed off Miley's vocal talent and offered a slightly creepy, Halloween-like tune.
As well as the upbeat pop rockers there are a few that follow in the footsteps of Wrecking Ball and show a much more subdued and emotional side to the singer. Drive in particular almost has a chill-out feel and Miley's voice sounds brilliant and is filled with emotion as she sings "Drive my heart into the night/You can drop your keys off in the morning/Cause I don't want to leave home, without your love." It makes you wonder, how many of these are about her past, greatly publicized, relationship?
It is fair to say I quite simply love over half the tracks on the album and to be honest there aren't any that I hate. 

Miley has created a perfect party album with a smart mix of heart-felt chill out tracks and toe-tapping pop songs.

Listen to if you like:
In The Zone by Britney Spears
The Fame by Lady GaGa

No comments:

Post a Comment