Sunday, 8 September 2013

Literature: The Fault In Our Stars Review


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
*****

The Fault in Our Stars (TFiOS) is the story of sixteen year old cancer patient Hazel Lancaster, the novel follows Hazel as she attends a support group her parents have begged her to attend where she meets the intriguing and charming Augustus Waters.
 
Everyone had been raving about this book on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr so I thought I would give it a whirl.
Hazel Grace Lancaster is a smart and witty sixteen year old who simply wants a normal life but instead she is forced to deal with the horrific disease that is lung cancer. As her parents, a strong and kind mother and a sensitive but loving father, plead her to 'get out more' Hazel agrees, much to her own disdain, to attend the local support group. Whilst at the meeting she meets Augustus Waters, a young ex-basketball player who is currently in remission having previously lost his leg to bone cancer. As Hazel starts to spend more time with Augustus as well as his best friend Issac, a troubled young man who has been partially blinded by cancer, Hazel realizes how much of a profound effect one person can have on your life.
Sometimes you read a book that changes your whole perspective on life, sometimes it's just for a moment and sometimes its forever. TFiOS is one one of these books.
Of course it is not perfect and much like its female lead, TFiOS does have it's faults but whether you walk away from the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster full of happiness, anger or sadness, one thing is for certain you won't ever forget how it made you feel.
The strengths of this novel lies with the true to life characters and the funny, heart-warming and, at times, brutal dialogue. In particular the main lead Hazel is a fabulous female protagonist; she is a smart and sarcastic albeit a little self-righteous. 
At times I would catch myself gasping and even giggling at the conversation and I felt a little guilty that I found their humorous take on cancer so hilarious but I soon realized this exactly what John Green wanted. 
For many I think they may see the novel as a little pretentious and a bit on the 'lecturing' side but with all that in mind I cannot remember the last time I took so much away from a book.
I must add that although I was aware of the plot I don't think I truly understood how emotional it would be. It truly is a sad book but what else would you expect from a novel about teenagers who have cancer? 


Read if you liked
SeeSaw by  Deborah Moggach
Looking for Alaska by John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment