Thursday, 3 January 2013

Music: Red by Taylor Swift Review











Red (Deluxe edition)
Taylor Swift
£9.50
****

I've downloaded a couple of Taylor Swifts songs in the past; Love Story, The Way I Loved You, Our Song but never an entire album-until now.
After seeing her superb perform on the VMAs I decided to download the complete album and have a listen to all of the tracks, instead of just a few, and I'm glad I did.
As I make my way through the album, third time around, I find myself singling out my favourite picks and I realize the reason I love these particular tracks is because I can relate to them. With that discovery I believe I have truly figured out what makes the Southern singer so brilliant; she is wonderfully relatable. Her music is consistently genuine with her words hitting home in either a painful and frank manner or a laugh out loud method which manage to bring back memories we think we have forgotten.
Whilst offering us some musical nostalgia Taylor never forgets that she is a true country crooner and although some of the songs are a little electro (I Knew You Were Trouble) or even have an Brit rock edge (State Of Grace) the majority of the album delivers the simple guitar rifts and country pop we love.
Red offers catchy choruses and is lyrically strong with the positively heartfelt All Too Well citing 'Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise/ So casually cruel in the name of being honest' a circumstance and emotion many listeners will recall written in a beautifully poetic way. 
But don't be foolish enough to believe that Taylor only writes emotional songs about heart break and loss. The Lucky One offers some insight into the world of fame- and I must add that it rather echoes sounds from Katy Perrys first album- and with this one there isn't any mention of a boy, 'And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream / You had it figured out since you were in school / Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool '
We also have the mocking We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together which may be about a break up but is pure fun-filled pop and has everybody bopping along in no time at all. 
Admittedly I can understand why some people may may think "loads of the songs sound the same" but to be me that's simply her signature style; country pop ballads with honest lyrics.
But in all honesty she has managed to interject some variation with hints of Pink, Avril Lavigne and as previously mentioned Katy Perry-esque tunes with a country twist.
Although there were a few tracks I will skip I can honestly say I shall most certainly be purchasing her next album and would love to attend a Taylor Swift gig.

Some say that this album is much more mature then her others, and of course her distinctive voice has greatly improved and the country element is toned down but its still characteristically and unmistakably Taylor Swift.

Listen to if you like:
One of the Boys by Katy Perry
Spirit by Leona Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment