Monday, 16 July 2012

Literature: Mermaids

Whilst I have been writing my story Diamond Eyes I have been doing some research on mermaids and sirens, oooh intrigued? Lol.
Anyway I've always had this fascination with mermaids and sirens, I think its because there is so much mythology and fantasy linked to them- two things which really intrigue me.
I also love mermaid films; Splash, Aquamarine, Mermaids and am always open to more suggestions
Mermaids are beautiful, magical creatures and as I also cannot swim and am really quite terrified of the ocean I think there is something about them which is very brave.
So with that in mind I decided to do some research and find some mermaid based novels.
I actually found quite a few and I  cannot believe I haven't come across them before and haven't even thought about reading one before.
Anyway those which have caught my eyes are below:


Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen--literally--both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts.

Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
The first book in a new trilogy, "Lost Voices" is a stunning debut--a captivating and original tale about teenage girls from the outskirts of society who are transformed into mermaids.

Between the Sea and the Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore
Esmerine, a mermaid, grows close to her childhood playmate Alander, a winged man, when they join forces to find her sister Dosia, who has reportedly eloped with a human despite the sisters' vow to always keep the sea and its people first in their hearts.

Fathomless by Jackson Pearce
Celia, who shares mental powers with her triplet sisters, finds competition for a handsome boy with Lo, a sea monster who must persuade a mortal to love her and steal his soul to earn back her humanity.

The synopsis' are courtesy of The Book Depository which you can check out here http://www.bookdepository.co.uk and the images are just off Google.

Anyway the one which I think I would most like to read is Lost Voices. If I'm honest Between the Sea and the Sky and Fathomless sound a bit like Diamond Eyes! Worrying!

Not if but when I do read one of these books I shall offer a review :)



2 comments:

  1. GET OUT.....what are you writing??? And I am smiling so much because my friend and I are talking about POSEIDON this weekend!!! no way..cus I asked him who is the god of sea and he told me Poseidon!!! Then I google it and found the chinese name of poseidon--it's so funny, when i translated it and turned out it mean cabbage!!! ahahahahah, laugh me to death;)

    opps sorry, I am retarded but your writing is beautiful. I hope can learn from you:)

    cheers;)

    EDGYMIX-TRAVEL FOR FASHION

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha cabbage? That's a little crazy! Not sure how that matches up with water! Hhaha
      xXx

      Delete