Sunday, 8 July 2012

Fashion: Cigarettes and Stilettos

I recently purchased the August issue of InStyle with Kim Kardashian, its OK I'll take it off of my budget, and inside they have an article about certain shoes with certain trousers/skirts. Its like the Fall guide to bottom half styling.
The combinations that they offer are as follows:
  1. Cigarette pants and stilettos
  2. Wide leg trousers and pointy flats
  3. 7/8th trousers and textured shoes
  4. Pencil skirts and ankle boots
  5. Mini skirts and the anti-heel
  6. A line skirts and block heels
I do like the article, they offered some ideas for you and I decided to put in order those which I would try and those which I wouldn't even tackle, unless it was for comedy value. Plus some research and examples of how to capture three of the styles.
So in my order of favourites it would be as follows:
  1. Cigarette pants and stilettos 
  2. 7/8th trousers and textured shoes
  3. Wide leg trousers and pointy flats
  4. Mini skirts and anti-heels
  5. Pencil skirts and ankle boots 
If I am honest I cannot EVER think of a time I would wear a pencil skirt with a pair of ankle boots (heeled or flat.) It is such a tricky style to pull off.
I like pencil skirts and I have a Miss Sixty white one which I sometimes wear to work with black tights, black ballet pumps and a navy blue tee but if I paired it with a pair of ankle boots it would have a completely different (and chaotic) look.
I am 5ft4 and a size 10-12, not fat nor skinny, and it's nice to wear a pencil skirt which offers that sleek shaping of your hips but it looks best with heels or flats and tights-of the same colour, anything else and you are left with short, stumpy legs. So not a good look.

Cigarette Pants and Stilettos
As for my first choice this was pretty easy. I love stilettos anyway and although I don't own any I also like cigarette pants. They are almost a chic but more relaxed version of the skinny trouser plus they cut off around the ankle and I actually quite like my ankles :) It's a style which looks fab with an ankle strap too which I never really do.




(L-R) White pants- Wallis £29.50, Black trousers- Balenciaga £462, Blue pants- Reiss £95, Tan heels- Kurt Geiger £95, Pink heels- ASOS £40, Black heels- Carvela £130 

7/8 Trousers and Textured Shoes
This is a little similar to the above but instead of going for detail on the strap and drawing attention to the ankle this is about the fabric of the shoe. Think snakeskin, suede and embellishment. Paired with a plain shirt and blazer its safe for work or match with slinky top and cute clutch for cocktails at the bar.


(L-R) Grey trousers- Phase Eight £29.50, Mint jeans- Topshop £40,  Black trousers- Alexander McQueen £650, Lilac shoes- Malene Birger £374, Green shoes- Faith £65, Black heels- Jimmy Choo £355

A-Line Skirts and Block Heels
I decided to skip past wide leg trousers and pointy flats as I didn't want to do just trousers! I choose this above mini skirt and anti-heel as I think it would my silhouette more. It's very Mad Men and I can see people such as Eva Mendes and Diane Kruger working this look, 

(L-R) Blue skirt- Preen £210, Black pattern skirt-Valentino £294, Purple skirt- Dorothy Perkins £28, Tan shoes- Betty Jackson Black £55, Coral shoes- Debenhams £30, Metallic shoes- Marc Jacobs £168


Below we can see Fearne Cotton, Molly Simms and Olivia Palermo channeling the up and coming styles. Extra points to Olivia Palermo for wearing the classic Manolo Blahnik everyone wants!



(L-R) Fearne Cotton in stone 7/8ths and textured orange sandals, Molly Sims in a yellow aline skirt and metallic block heels, Olivia Palermo in pattern pants and blue stilettos









No comments:

Post a Comment